court of protection

Protecting the best interests of the vulnerable people you care for.

Depended on by generations

We get to know our clients, their businesses and their families, and we’re with them every step of the journey.

We add true value

We work proactively to identify solutions that provide absolute protection, now and in the future.

Your funeral wishes

To help you think about the type of funeral you would like, we have developed this questionnaire.

Our Court of Protection solicitors

It is not uncommon for individuals to lose the ability to make decisions for themselves. When someone in your life is no longer able to manage their financial affairs or make informed decisions about their personal welfare, you must try and establish if they have made a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA). If so, it is at this point the attorney will need to step up and act.

However, if there are no such attorneys and you want to be able to make these decisions it may be necessary to apply to the Court of Protection. Through this process you may be appointed as a deputy for said person, only then are you able to assist them with managing their personal affairs. Our Court of Protection solicitors can guide you through this process, or act as professional deputies themselves if required.

Get in touch

What we can do for you

  • Deputyship application for financial affairs
  • Deputyship application for health and welfare
  • Trustee application for sale of jointly owned property
  • Statutory Will application
  • Acting as professional Deputy, Attorney or Trustee
  • Acting as advocate for Court of Protection matters (a cheaper option to instructing a barrister)
  • Contested Deputy or Statutory Will applications (either you’ve made an application that someone has objected to, or you want to object to the application)
  • Safeguarding issues
  • Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards/Section 21a applications (where you do not agree with where your friend/family member is living/will be living)
  • Care home fee issues
  • Financial assessments

Frequently asked questions

We have answered some of your frequently asked questions to help you understand more about this process:

  1. What does it mean to ‘lack capacity’?

    A person may be deemed to lack capacity if they have:

    • Severe learning difficulties*

    • Suffered a serious brain injury or illness

    • Dementia or a similar degenerative disease

    The general rule is that if a person is unable to make important decisions for themselves when it is necessary for those decisions to be made, they would be considered to ‘lack capacity’.

    *If you are the parent of a child with severe learning difficulties, you WILL NOT have the automatic right to manage your child’s affairs once they reach 18.

  2. What is the difference between a Court of Protection deputyship and a Lasting Power of Attorney?

    An LPA can be used to give someone similar powers to that of a court appointed deputy.

    The key difference is that an LPA is used to empower a person to look after your affairs should something happen to you in the future, where as a Court of Protection Deputyship can be applied for to manage the affairs of another, after they’ve been deemed to have lost capacity.

  3. Who can be a Court of Protection deputy?

    Anyone over the age of 18 years old with sound mind can act as deputy. Family or friends are the court’s preferred option if this is a possibility because this reduces the cost that the vulnerable person will incur.

    If there are no family or friends able/willing to act as deputy, a professional deputy (such as a solicitor) can be appointed.

    Where the vulnerable person has very limited assets, it may be deemed more appropriate for the local authority to act as deputy because their charges are less than that of a professional deputy. However, generally, local authorities will only agree to do this if there are no family or friends involved.

  4. How can we help if you are already a Court of Protection deputy?

    There may be times when a deputy requires advice or assistance to perform their duties. This may include:

    • Help completing the annual report

    • Help submitting tax returns

    • Acting as your advocate if matters become contentious

    • Advice if you feel a co-deputy or attorney is not acting in the best financial interests of the person they are appointed for

    • Ad hoc advice to make sure you are staying within the boundaries of the Deputyship Order. This may include reviewing employment contracts for live in carers, advice about deprivation of liberty, advice about deliberate deprivation of assets etc

    • If you are being investigated due to possible mismanagement of someone’s finances, we can also assist you to respond to the Office of the Public Guardian who supervise deputies

Quick contact form

Submit an enquiry and one of our team of experts will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss your needs.

Or call the Court of Protection team on 01522 515011

Senior Solicitor Chantal Ul Haq-Weedon 01522 515011 Lincoln
This website has implemented reCAPTCHA v3 and your use of reCAPTCHA v3 is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Related news

Back to top